“As long as you can still grab a breath, you fight. You breathe… keep breathing.”
- What is this movie about?
A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820’s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team…
- Why should you watch it?
This movie is a movie that works wonderfuly at different levels. First, we have a strong plot (based on a novel), but nontheless pretty strong. With strong characters and the main line to follow is the survival mode of the main character, which after an encounter with a bear is left for dead by his own companions but that is not the case…
Secondly, we have again the Iñárritu efect; meaning, the same style that we saw in Birdman. Long takes that look like a non cutted camera movement, which really allows the audience to enjoy wonderful landscapes from mother nature and in some action scenes, it allows us to view all points of view in a continuos way, which is a change in what we are used to watch. Plus that photography is a gift for your eyes. All the colors and the wonderful wild landscapes catch your eyes through all the movie.
Thirdly, there is Leo’s work. He is terrific in this movie, his work is amazing and really realistic (sometimes toooo realistic), which helps you enjoy the movie even more. You feel his pain, his anger, his lust for revenge….And proof of his great job is his lttest Golden Globe award and his nomination for the Oscars, may this be his year? We’ll know in some weeks time…
- Did you know?
– Due to production being behind schedule, the snow melted during the location shoot in Canada before filming was complete. With summer rapidly approaching, there was no choice but to relocate the entire production to southern Argentina, where there were similar wintry conditions.
– Leonardo DiCaprio had to devour a raw slab of bison’s liver, even though he is vegetarian. He also had to learn to shoot a musket, build a fire, speak two Native American languages (Pawnee and Arikara), and study with a doctor who specializes in ancient healing techniques. DiCaprio calls it the hardest performance of his career.
– Leonardo DiCaprio was originally approached to star in Steve Jobs (2015), but dropped out to do this film instead.
– Shot only with natural light, but there is one exception according to cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki: A campfire sequence at night where the wind was causing the fire to pulse in a distracting way. “We had to lay a bunch of light bulbs around the fire to create a cushion of light,” Lubezki admits. “That’s all the light we used.” [16 Dec. 2015, Variety]
– The origin of the title is rooted in the French verb “revenir,” which means “to return.” Revenant in French also means (reverting to) “spirit” or “ghost.”
– The film takes place in 1823.
– Tom Hardy receives his first Oscar nomination for best actor in supporting role in this film for his performance as John Fitzgerald
– Leonardo DiCaprio won the Golden Globe for Best Actor In a Drama Film for his performance.
– Nominated for Oscar in 12 categories.