“I was loved for a minute, then I was hated. Then I was just a punch line.”
- What is this movie about?
Competitive ice skater Tonya Harding rises amongst the ranks at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, but her future in the activity is thrown into doubt when her ex-husband intervenes.
- Why should you watch it?
The answer is in four words: Margot Robbie and Allison Janney. They are the movie. Both of them. One as the main star and the other one giving one of the best supporting actress performances ever. That both of them have been nominated to the Oscar for best in their respective category for playing these roles is not a coincidence!
This movie is not the so typical biopic of a sport star (or kind of). We are presented the main characters following some interviews played by the actors (no the real persons) and then we are told their story by them, in not the usual way and that might remind you of many Woody Allen’s movies where there are interviews at the beginning. Because the mood is the same: realistic but funny, although what they are explaining is not funny at all. We are presented to the characters and to their past. How they met, what they were doing and what they must do, specially Tonya.
Margot Robbie is flawless in this movie. She portrays the main character with such energy that once you finish watching the movie, you only want to search for the real Tonya in the internet and watch her performances; and once you watch them you realize that you already know them, because you have watched this movie. On the other side of the coin is Allison Janney; who portrays Tonya’s strict mother and every time that she is on-screen she just simply steals the show (poor bird, by the way). If you are not much into sports movies, just do us all a favor and watch this one just to enjoy these two women doing one of the finest works an actress can do.
The movie tells us a story that did happen, maybe not exactly like it is explained here, but it happened not so long ago. It’s not easy to explain something like this and get the audience attention while the movie is still rolling, but this movie exceeds in that. We are attached to the screen for the whole movie duration and once we finish we want some more, and we can get more of the real thing, but that doesn’t mean it better that the fictional one. A movie to learn something new while enjoying some good laughs.
- Did you know?
– Although Margot Robbie trained for the role, she wouldn’t be able to do Tonya’s triple axel as very few people in the world are able to and at least two of them were training for the Olympics. The choreography was done and the scenes were completed with the help of visual effects and CGI.
– To prevent damaging her hair, Margot Robbie wears wigs as Tonya Harding. Surprisingly, the hair team used beer to achieve the “crunchy” permed look when regular hair products didn’t produce the desired result.
– Not being a ‘bird’ person in particular, Allison Janney had some difficulty adapting to having one perched on her shoulder for so many of her scenes, so the production had to ‘audition’ three different birds before settling on one they nicknamed “Little Man,” the least hyperactive of the lot.
– Although a member of an amateur ice hockey league, Margot Robbie didn’t have that much skating experience before taking on the role of Tonya Harding.
– When Tonya Harding herself first saw the film, she particularly liked the “Suck my dick!” line. She told Margot Robbie that she wished she had actually said that in real life.
– This film breaks the fourth wall.