“You can do whatever you put your mind to.”
- What is this movie about?
One year after the adventures of Finding Nemo, we find our heroes Marlin, Nemo and Dory facing a new adventure before them: the quest to find Dory’s parents.
- Why should you watch it?
One Word to watch it: Dory!! The fish with a fish memory, yeah it’s right. She was the funniest thing in Finding Nemo, but that movie had many magnificent things. This 13 years later sequel, has the main funny character from Finding Nemo as THE main character, and yes, you will laugh, a lot but it kind of misses something, maybe the novelty?
Here we find Dory one year after the events that happened in Finding Nemo and what does she does? Well, she goes finding her parents!! So, once again, we find ourselves in an Oceanic adventure through the Seven Seas, er, I meant the Pacific Ocean. This time is Dory that leaves and Marlin and Nemo that go after her. Yeah, the story is kind of repetitive, but nonetheless this a great movie to watch with your kids, or not so kids.
Before judging this movie, we need to consider the original one; it was a fantastic movie, a piece of art you could say, and of course making a sequel has always its risks and using that one as a basis it has greater one, but Pixar has done a wonderful job in here! Although it is a sequel, so nothing is new and we might not get so much surprised as we got with Finding Nemo but you will really, really enjoy it.
We meet new friends in this story, we meet some old friends again and best of all is that we get to learn about Dory’s past! And we can understand some things about the previous movie which were left to our imagination. Here everything is well explained and with a ground behind it, not just for the sake of coming up with something to fill the gaps. Some of the new characters will melt your heart and you will love them right away, I love Hank, the octopus (he is the best!). So grab your kids (so you have an excuse) and go watch it!
- Did you know?
– The film is set one year after the events of Finding Nemo (2003). The film was released 13 years after the first.
– Finding Dory (2016) was first announced by Ellen DeGeneres, who voices Dory, on her talk show following a long campaign for a sequel.
– Hank has only seven tentacles because the animators realized they could not fit eight onto his body. His backstory was rewritten to account for the missing limb.
– The license plate on the truck is CALA113. “A113” appears in all Pixar movies, as a reference to the Cal Arts room where many of the animators of Pixar Studios attended.
– The setting of the film was changed from an aquatic park to a Marine Biology Institute after the controversial documentary Blackfish (2013) was screened for the crew of Pixar.
– The photo of Darla from Finding Nemo (2003) can be seen in the background during Dory’s first visit to the quarantine facility.
– With over 25 million likes, Dory is the most liked character on Facebook from any Disney or Pixar film.
– The Pizza Planet Truck in a wrecked sunken state appears at the area where Dory, Marlin and Nemo encounter the Giant Squid, as well as on the Freeway, passing by the Truck heading to Cleveland.