” I’ll be there for you “
Today is the 20th anniversary of Friends, a series that made a milestone in the series history and in people’s hearts.
It doesn’t matter if you watched it like.. ..20 years ago! or just the other day, I bet that at some point in your life you went like: “Oh, wait! This is like that Friends’ episode when…” This is something that is unavoidable and where we all (by all I mean those who have watched the show) find at some point in our life. Furthermore, if you truly loved the show, sometimes, when you feel bored, you just pop into YouTube and re-watch some episode, best scene or whatever. After twenty years, nothing has compared to them, not even “How I met your Mother” (please, don’t kill me now!!). Now if you excuse me, I am gonna watch something…..
Now scroll down and learn some curiosities and re-watch the best moments and guest stars appearances. ENJOY!!
- Did you know?
– During every episode the word “friends” is said at least once.
– The orange couch used in Central Perk was found in the basement of the Warner Bros. studio.
– Monica says the first lines of the series and Chandler says the very last lines of the series.
– The golden frame around the peephole was originally a mirror which one of the crew accidentally smashed. But because it still looked good they decided to leave it there.
– The opening credits sequence in which the stars dance in a fountain was shot in the Warner Bros LA lot at 4am. The water was kept heated through a pump. The group was given the words to the Rembrandts song but it was not playing in the background because the song had not been recorded. Jennifer Aniston is the only cast member seen lip syncing in the opening credits, and this can be seen on the opening credits of ‘The Pilot’. It is not seen again after that episode in the beginning credits. However, on the last episode of each season they show at the end an extension of the friends dancing in the fountain and sometimes again including her mouthing the words.
– When Matt LeBlanc auditioned for the role he only had $11 dollars to his name. When the cast got their paychecks, the first thing that Courteney Cox bought was a car. Matt LeBlanc bought a hot dinner.
– No Friend ever made more money doing the show than any others. They started out making $22,500 per episode and ended up making $1,000,000 per episode. All negotiations were done in unison. Kudrow said, “The six of us are far stronger than just one person.”
– In the opening credits to ‘The One After Vegas’, all of the names in the opening (actors and crew) were changed to have “Arquette” at the end of them, a gag on Courteney Cox-Arquette who had just recently married David Arquette.
– The characters’ full names are: – Rachel Karen Green – Phoebe Buffay (in “The One Where They All Turn Thirty” 7.14, she says that never knew her middle name since she had never seen her birth certificate and her twin sister, Ursula, had sold it to a Swedish runaway) – Joseph Francis Tribbiani Jr – Chandler Muriel Bing – Ross Eustace Geller – Monica E. Geller (Monica’s middle name is never said).
– Gunther didn’t have a name until the middle of the second season.
– Joey’s statue of a white dog was originally given to Jennifer Aniston as a good luck present from her best friend when she started acting. She offered to lend it to the show for the episode where Joey became rich and bought a lot of stuff. After that episode, the producers decided to keep it
– Season Two is the only season of Friends where there is no episode on Thanksgiving Day.
– Monica’s address is 90 Bedford St. Apt. 20, New York, NY 10014.
– Phoebe’s address is 5 Morton St. Apt. 14, New York, NY 10014
– Joey’s address is 90 Bedford St. Apt. 19, New York, NY 10014.
– The artwork in Central Perk is changed every three episodes.
– Monica has eleven categories for towels. They include: “everyday use”, “fancy”, “guest”, “fancy-guest”, but the rest are not mentioned due to Chandler and Joey running out of time.
– Joey’s seven sisters are Veronica, Mary Angela, Mary Theresa, Gina, Dina, Tina, and Cookie.
– Lisa Kudrow was terrified of the duck that showed up in Season 3.
– All the friends have kissed each other, though one kiss is fictional (Monica and Joey in “The One With The Truth About London”), and two of the kisses appear off-screen (Rachel and Monica kiss to retain their apartment and Chandler kisses Ross at Joey’s birthday party before making out with Joey’s sister). Monica and Ross’s on-screen kiss is a quick peck. They also kissed off camera in “The One Where the Stripper Cries”.
– Of all the titles, the Friend’s names appear individually as so: Rachel (21 times), Ross (19 times), Joey (13 times), Phoebe (10 times), Chandler (9 times), and Monica (7 times). Also, Ross and Rachel appears 4 times, Joey and Rachel appears 3 times, Monica and Chandler 2 times, and Ross and Monica appears once in the episode titles.
– There have been nine Oscar-winning actors/actresses who have appeared on Friends.Charlton Heston, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Helen Hunt, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, Robin Williams, George Clooney, Jim Rash and Brad Pitt.
– Ellen DeGeneres turned down the role of Phoebe Buffay.
– The final episode aired on 6 May 2004.