“A perfect life is a perfect lie”
- What is this series about?
Tells the tale of three mothers of first graders, whose apparently perfect lives unravel to the point of murder.
- Why should you watch it?
The main lure for this show is its casting. Big names as Kidman, Witherspoon, Woodley, Dern… All of them brilliant actresses that we have the opportunity to work together in this show and where they succeed in their portrayals of mothers living the so perfect life, or so it seems.
Considering that the show is based on a novel, and said novel was not a novel to forget, we are lucky to enjoy a good plot. Through all seven episodes we follow the lives of these women. At the beginning of episode 1 we know that somebody died. But that’s it. We don’t know who, where and when. It’s as the episodes flow, that we learn things about each one of the characters, and that their lives are not as perfect as they seem to an outsider.
For some, the pace might seem a bit slow. As the story seems to not advance at some point, but please keep watching it, as it is indeed advancing, but maybe not at the speed that you were expecting too. Everything has a reason to be and a place to happen and in order to know the real truth you need to watch it until the end.
As said, the female cast is amazing. Not always are we given the chance to witness so much good work together and such good actresses together that are given a good story to tell. This is it. And not only are the female on the leading roles simply wonderful, but as are also their male counterparts in a more supporting role. Because we mustn’t forget, the women are the focus of this show.
If you want to enjoy a real drama which you could feel related too (minus the death part, that’s it), don’t think twice and binge watch it because you won’t regret it and you will be left wondering if there is going to be a season two.
- Did you know?
– HBO won the rights for the series in a bidding war against Netflix.
– The series is being filmed in Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, and Carmel Highlands, California.
– The novel is set in a seaside suburb of Sydney, Australia, but the setting was changed to America for the series. Nicole Kidman is the only Australian among the cast other than Gia Carides.
– In order to work on this project, Reese Witherspoon backed out of Downsizing (2017), while Nicole Kidman turned down a part in Wonder Woman (2017), both because of scheduling conflicts.
– Bruna Papandrea is Reese Witherspoon’s producing partner and a childhood friend of Nicole Kidman. She got the two united over the project. After she approached Kidman about the novel, Kidman read the book overnight, and later went to Australia to sit down with author Liane Moriarty to obtain the rights to the book. She received it 48 hours later.