“If you live an ordinary life, all you’ll have are ordinary stories.”
- What is this movie about?
A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early…
- Why should you (maybe not) watch it?
Let’s begin with something really important: trailer do deceive you sometimes and this is the perfect example of expecting to watch a determinate kind of movie and find something unexpected (and not in a good sense).
When you watch the trailer you might expect some kind of “Pandorum” (minus the paranoia and all the horror) but sorry, this is not that movie. It is not an action/adventure movie where people are travelling in a spaceship with a new planet to live as destination and where someone awakes beforehand because there is something big, deep and dark behind it. Instead of that we find ourselves with something completely the opposite: a romance drama.
Yeah, you heard me: romance drama. Something that is really good disguised in a science fiction environment, with a background mystery (which by the way is solved sooner than saying Schwarzenegger). For half of the movie, H-A-L-F-O-F-T-H-E-F-I-L-M we are presented with the two main characters and nothing, absolutely almost nothing happens. And I didn’t feel so bored since watching the beginning of the last “Fantastic Four” movie, which lasted also half of the movie by the way. Then something seems to happen but no it doesn’t, and then the finale.
Although there are two frontlines in the movie and they have chemistry on-screen, the way the story is told is boring and you will find yourself looking at your watch every 5 minutes for the first hour, then you will be happy that something has happened but then the movie is over and time to go home!
Titanic on space is what this movie has been called, but remember, Titanic has a good story and good dialogues, this one not so much. If you are a fan of the two main stars you may be excused, even more if you like science fiction. but believe me, you will be quite disappointed about the result. On the other hand, if you miss those 90s romance movies, please go watch it!
- Did you know?
– On the poster, under the title contains the symbols: dot dot dot, dash dash dash, dot dot dot – morse code for S.O.S
– Reshoots for the film were scheduled as late as October 2016 to “fix” story elements that were not working.
– The bar scenes in “Passengers” are quoted as being inspired by the bar scenes in Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining”. Similarities include the fact that in both films the bartenders are identically dressed, carry themselves in a sophisticated manner, have a strange friendship with the lead male, are not concerned with payment, and are unable to leave. Another similarity: just like the Overlook Hotel bar, the primary light source shines from below rather than above.
– According to production designer Dyas, the inspiration for the ship’s rotary design came from observing the seeds of sycamore trees, and how they spin like tiny helicopters as they fall.
– Similar to the technique used in “2001: A Space Odyssey”, scenes where the characters had to walk inside the centrifuge were shot hamster-wheel style. The set spun underneath them as they stepped forward.