“You’re an interesting man, Mr. Scamander. Just like your suitcase, I think there’s more to you than meets the eye. Kicked out of Hogwarts for endangering human life with a beast, yet one of your teachers argued strongly against your expulsion. I wonder… what makes Albus Dumbledore so fond of you, Mr. Scamander?”
- What is this movie about?
The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York’s secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school. Newt has just arrived to New York City when some Fantastic Beasts that he carries in his suitcase are unleashed…
- Why should you (absolutely) watch it?
Harry Potter!!! No, he doesn’t appear (sorry), but the magic is there! The movie takes place 70 years before the events in the Harry Potter books and we follow Newt Scamander, author of one of the books mentioned in the Harry Potter books and just as a reminder, Newt is the grandfather of Luna Lovegood’s husband. But this is not the only connection with the Harry Potter books and movies, because let’s face it, we Potterheads are going to watch the movie (besides the obvious) to discover those connections…
Above all, the movie is pretty good. Comparisons are unavoidable but let’s remember, magic or no magic, this is a spin-off, no Harry Potter in here! We are presented with a new set of characters, some where mentions less than briefly in some Harry Potter book but of course, we remember who they were. You can see J.K.Rowling writting in here (not as in Cursed Child, double sigh) and we must be grateful for that because we all feel like 15 years ago, really enjoying ourselves while watching the movie. For newcomers, this movie is a fantastic way to enter the Wizarding World that you have missing so far!
On the other hand, there are some plot weaknesses, which we will obliviate ourselves because we were waiting so long for this moment that it doesn’t matter. The movie might be found to be a big long (2h 20min aprox), taking a lot of time catching the fantastic beasts meanwhile there was another subplot that in the future will be more important. Here comes one comparison: I had the impression that American wizards are more into action than British ones, but then we must remember something: in this film we see the adult society and in the previous ones it was the school society, so comparing them is like comparing Quidditch with Exploding Snap! There is more action, more magic, more explosions and more adult themes, but let’s not forget that this movie is directed to your inner younger self.
There will be 4 more movies to come to keep enjoying this new magical era and we are really intrigued to watch them because for once, we have NO reading material!!! Visual effects are one actor more of the movie, brilliant as always. To create all these creatures was a challenge that they did more than succeed as you will be fascinated with them and after leaving the theatre you will be looking for the nearest book store to buy the book (if you still didn’t have it!). As an extra,you will get goosebumps when hearing Hedwig’s Theme; and if you don’t, muggle/no-maj you!!
Overall we are faced with a really entertaining movie that keeps the spirit of the previous ones. It has new lovable characters, new information for us to enjoy, and questions left unanswered that we hope will be answered in the upcoming films. We have until 2024 to keep enjoying tha magic.
PS: No. This is not Marvel. There are no post-credits scene(s) 😦
- Did you know?
– Released 15 years and 2 days after Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001).
– Screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling.
– The name Newt Scamander appears on the Marauder’s Map in the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004).
– 1926 the year the film is set is also the year Voldemort was born.
– Within the Harry Potter universe, Newt Scamander’s “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” was first published in 1927 and became a massive bestseller, as well as an approved textbook at Hogwarts. By the mid-1990s, when the Harry Potter series is set, it was in its 52nd edition. Scamander also has the distinct honor to have his own Chocolate Frog Card.
– It was revealed in November 2015 that the American wizarding community in the movie does not use the word “Muggles” to refer to non-magic people but instead use their own word “No-maj”, short for “no magic”.
– J.K. Rowling has stated that this film “is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry gets underway”
– Was originally intended to be a trilogy, but as of October 2016 it has been confirmed as a 5 part movie series.
– Author and screenwriter J.K. Rowling has announced that this is first of a series of five and she has stated that she will be writing the screenplay to every single one of the films. The two other sequels have already been announced and been a release date 2018 and 2020 however there is no date for the other two sequels, so there is no knowing how long this series will go on for, although she has announced that it won’t continue on for as long the Harry Potter series.
– It has been revealed that “Ilvermorny” will be the name of the American School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (referenced, but supposedly not featured in this movie), much like Hogwarts is for the UK.
– Eddie Redmayne auditioned for the role of Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Cahmber of Secrets (2002) but was turned down after reading one line. Christian Coulson was cast instead.
– This film is directed by David Yates, the director of the last four “Harry Potter” films.