“What was once in the deep is now in the Shallows”
- What is this movie about?
One surfer girl is about 100 meters from the shore, but she cannot get there safe as a white shark is circling her…
- Why should you watch it?
Well, first of all, the trailer looks really cool and promises a movie full of tension and action. Some have said is the new Jaws, but let me tell you this: no, it is not. Publicity can be deceiving and this case it is, more than comparing it to Jawas it should be compared to Open Water (yes, that “terrifying” one).
So, same story as always, (wo)man against shark. So please, if you are going to the seaside this holidays you better avoid this movie, just in case. We have a surfer who goes to do some surfing, pretty normal, but then suddenly a white shark appears really near the shore and she cannot get back to the shore because the shark is in her way, so she needs to think what to do in order to survive. We find our heroine in one difficult situation after another, non-stop. The rhythm of the movie if really good, you (almost) cannot stop breathing and Blake is good as always, and we get some shots of how good is she.
Anyway, these non-stop situation that come one after another resembles that same situation but in space that Sandra Bullock found herself in Gravity. So yes, we could see this is Gravity but water version. she really gets out of one situation to fall into another one. And that end… I am not going to spoil it but… was a bit of absurd (just watch for yourselves). Overall is an entertaining movie but the story cannot be lengthened any more (hence the 1 hour 20 minutes that is the movie).
Best character of this movie? The seagull of course!! She/he is the real star of the movie. Try not to forget about it while watching it!!
- Did you know?
– Originally titled as ‘In the Deep’.
– Shot in part off the Gold Coast of Australia. Other filming commenced in a giant swimming pool.
– The screenplay for this film was featured in the 2014 Blacklist; a list of the “most liked” unmade scripts of the year.
– Nancy’s nickname for the seagull is Steven Seagull, which is, of course, a pun on famous actor Steven Segal.
– The name of the beach is never revealed. It may have been, “isla de tiburón (shark’s island).”