” When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, When the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea. And in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.”
- What is this movie about?
Alice returns to Wonderland to find that the Mad Hatter is not in a good state anymore. With the help of her friends, she will travel through time to save the Mad Hatter. She will have to face the Red Queen and Time in order to reach her goal.
- Why should you watch it?
The first movie, was a surprise. It was a new concept (making live actions from cartoon Disney classics) and it had a good story to tell, and yes, the visual effects were fantastic!!
This second movie, wants to keep the story going, though using the second book of Alice’s adventures as a tittle, although besides that, there is nothing else in common. Here the visual effects are as good as in the first movie, but there is no surprise factor, although we love to watch them again and again. The same cast returns, ALL of them, to reprise their roles from the previous movie, which makes us feel like we never left Wonderland at all. Here I must say it’s a ladies job: Mia, Anne and Helena are the best of this movie. On the other side, Johnny is not at his best, sometimes his performance is overworked.
Nonetheless, they make a wonderful job at keeping us entertained, because that is what you will get from this movie, to get entertained, and once you get out of the theatre you will forget about it because the plot is a bit weak. It is a bit forceful that all characters are back together and also a bit forceful how the story keeps going but we can forget about it easily thanks to the cinematography or the great work of the CGI images.
if you want to go to Wonderland and forget about reality, watch it and you will laugh at some scenes, my favourite one is when they get into the castle and it looks like a Pacman video game but keeping the visual effects. If you are looking for something deeper, keep looking.
- Did you know?
– This is the final film of Alan Rickman, who passed away four months before the film’s release. He reprises his role as The Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland (2010), now a Butterfly.
– Time gives to Iracebeth a mechanical device portraying a decapitation. This could be seen as a dark humor reference to her always saying “Off with their heads!”
– This is Sacha Baron Cohen’s first Disney film appearance.
– Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, and Sacha Baron Cohen all previously starred together in Les Miserables (2012).
– Although this film is a direct sequel to Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland (2010), he is not directing this film. James Bobin is the director, and Burton is a producer.