“Wouldst thou like to live deliciously? “
- What is this movie about?
A family in 1630s New England is torn apart by the forces of witchcraft, black magic and possession.
- Why should you watch it?
It is good to watch sometimes a horror movie that gives you chills with a reason, something that is not so common (unfortunately). This is indeed a horror movie, but it is not the slasher type, were there are horny teens running around, or the murder house kind, or the creature of the darkness type. No, this movie is about what many centuries ago scared people: witches.
Probably when you wear witches during the colonization you will thing about Salem, but there were other cases before that, and this might one of those. We find a family living out of society in their own, near a wood where evil awaits… The premise is quiet simple but it works wonderfully. We feel the isolation that they are feeling and we feel their desperation when strange things begin to happen… What is really uncommon of this film is where and how happens, out in the nature where many legends begin. There are all the elements of witchcraft that we could find plus, as a counterpart, is the devoted religious family who has to face evil. Good vs Evil, as always.
The scenography is really natural, everything merges with the wood and with the mystery that lies within. And as happens in horror movies, what scares you is the music. And here the music plays an important role, as it’s a calm sound that only gets higher when you have to be scared. What I liked most about the movie is its final (no spoilers, no worry), and what it represents, the end of something and the beginning of something new.
Best actor of the movie: Black Phillip (the goat). You should watch the movie just to watch him in action. Give it a go if you want to experience something different…
- Did you know?
– The premise is based on America’s first witch hysteria in colonial New England, set 62 years before the infamous “Salem Witch Trials” which occurred in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
– Most of the film’s dialogue and story were based on writings from the time.
– According to cinematographer Jarin Blaschke, the film was shot mostly with available and natural light.
– There were more scenes planned to involve Black Phillip, but because he wasn’t as well trained as planned, the ideas had to be scratched.