“Thank God for Whitey Bulger”
- What is it about?
This is the true story of Whitey Bulger, the brother of a state senator and the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston, who became a FBI informant to take down a Mafia family invading his turf…
- Why should you watch it?
Johnny Depp. Just to see his transformation to play the leading character of this movie is worth your time. Besides the physical aspect, we are so used to seeing him as Pirate Sparrow, here we get the change to see another Johnny, the great actor Johnny. Critics say that is the best work of his career, and it might be true. How he plays Whitey, really convincing and really catchy.
Besides him, there is a bunch of good secondary characters like the always amazing Benedict Cumberbatch, who only has to breath to have all of us waiting for him, or like Joel Edgerton, who is really great actor and this role is like a ring for his finger.
The movie is a gangster movie, don’t expect it to be a kind of “The Godfather”, which is almost impossible to make, but nonetheless it’s a well made movie with a real story behind it and worth watching to learn a bit more about it and enjoy good actors on the screen.
- Did you know?
– Johnny Depp tried multiple times to speak to Whitey Bulger while preparing for the role to which Bulger declined.
– Based on the New York Times Best Seller “Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob” written by Dick Lehr and Gerard O’Neill.
– The word “fuck” is said 254 times throughout the film.
– Many of the murder scenes were shot in the locations where the real-life murders took place.
– Despite filming a substantial amount of scenes as Catherine Greig, Sienna Miller’s part was cut for pacing reasons.