“I know you… I walked with you…. Once Upon a Dream…”
- What is this movie about?
Once upon a time there was a princess… err… no, that was me getting way ahead! Once upon a time, there was a good fairy, who because of some reason (which I am NOT going to tell so to not spoiler you) became evil….. This is her story, her story, hence the movie tittle.
- Why should you watch this movie?
Angelina is not only the best of the movie, but she, herself, is THE movie. I cannot imagine another actress playing her role. She really is Maleficient in all her glory. She did come back throw the big doors. This movie is going to be a big box office, it doesn’t matter if sometimes the plots flatters at some points, she still makes it go ahead. Furthermore, the film atmosphere is really cool, you feel inside this fantasy world, you feel yourself back once upon a dream, but this time instead of being in a 2D universe it is in a 3D with real actors and actresses. Moreover, in some scenes, like the baptism one, the dialogs are exactly (or almost) like the ones in the cartoon movie, so you will feel really nostalgic about old times…
If you are expecting something really evil going, full of action, you better start forgetting about it, because sometimes tales are being told from another point of view and the story changes. Nonetheless, is an entertaining movie, where you laugh, you want to kill someone and where you will become Miss Jolie fan number one! Remember, this is a movie about Maleficient, not about the Sleeping Beauty, so if you are expecting the Disney’s classical cartoon tale in live action, then forget about it. If, on the other hand, you want to open your mind to another side of the fairy tale, then this is your movie. Much better than “Snow White and the Huntsman” and “Mirror, Mirror”, which was not difficult to begin with…. in addition, if you like the tv series “Once Upon a Time”, you will like this movie 😉
Just watch the trailer and let yourself be seduced into the Maleficient side:
- Did you know?
– By coincidence, Maleficient (2014) will be released on May 30, 2014; precisely the same year as the 55th anniversary of Walt Disney’s classic The Sleeping Beauty (1959).
– All the actors and actresses in Maleficient (2014) were partly chosen to be in the movie based on their uncanny resemblances and/or likeness to their respective character counterparts in Disney’s The Sleeping Beauty (1959).
– Angelina Jolie picked Lana Del Rey herself to be the one to sing a version of The Sleeping Beauty(1959)’s “Once Upon a Dream” as the main theme for the film.
– Angelina Jolie worked very closely with the costume and make-up designers to develop Maleficent’s menacing look. Disney executives objected, hoping to take advantage of Jolie’s beauty in marketing the film, but the actress insisted that the character maintain the scarier look of the animated incarnation.
– This film had the largest budget ever for a first time director, Robert Stromberg, surpassing another Disney film, TRON: Legacy (2010).
– Vivienne Jolie-Pitt, who portrays Princess Aurora as a young girl, is the daughter of Angelina Jolie (who plays Maleficent in the movie) and Brad Pitt.
– On the second day of the 2013 Disney D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center, Saturday, August 10, 2013, Angelina Jolie admitted that she scared little kids while in costume on the set of Maleficient (2014), with one kid actually said, “Mommy, please get the mean witch to stop talking to me.” She adds that her daughter, Vivienne, played young Aurora, and was the only kid who wasn’t scared of her. Apparently she was the only kid actress who they could get that wasn’t scared to be on set with her.
– Angelina Jolie did the stunts herself using harnesses for her flight and battle scenes.
– Maleficent is Angelina Jolie’s major movie comeback after taking a 4 year break with The Tourist(2010) as her last film.
For further info (careful with spoilers!):