“Faction before family”
So, here we have the latest young fantasy movie based in a fantasy novel for young adults (now breath). Is it the new “Hunger Games”? Is it the new “Beautiful Creatures”? Is it the new “Percy Jackson”? Is it the new “The Mortal Instruments”? Is it the new “Twilight”? Is it the new “Eragorn”? Is it the new “The Golden Compass”? Is it the new Harr… ok, I better stop right there. The answer is pretty simple, NO! (Grumpy Cat style)
- What is this movie about?
Once upon a time there were 12 distc…errrr 5 factions in a post war world (not called Panem but Chicago). When a person becomes a 16 years old one, they have to choose which faction to join (no tributes at all from each district): “Abnegation (for the selfless), Amity (for the peaceful), Candor (for the honest), Dauntless (for the brave, go! Gryffindor!) and Erudite (for the intelligent, go! Ravenclaw!!). Then there are de Divergents, they are like the “freaky” ones that have a bit of each faction… So, we have our heroine, Kat.. err… Beatrice, that ont he Choosing Day, he tests show that she is a Divergent…. and she has to hide this fact from everybody…. so she makes her faction choice…..and… I’ll stop here or spoiler it!
- Why should you watch this movie?
If you liked all the above movies, specially the Hunger Games one, then, there is a high probability that you will like this one too (though it is not entirely the same). I liked the Hunger Games movies and I have read the books. I haven’t read the Divergent ones, but as I like this kind of movies/books, I wanted to watch the movie. It was not like I expected, but nonetheless it was entertaining. It has action, it has a catchy story, the only thing I didn’t like very much is the whole training process, too long for my liking, but if the book is like that, then I cannot say anything. On the other hand, the best part is the second half of the movie, where most of the action takes place (finally). Though there are more books, the movie closes itself with the story, so i am really curious to know what the other two will be about! (Maybe I will give the books a oportunity!).
As for the actors, we have the chance to watch Kate Winslet (finally!) in a bad ass role. She should get more roles like this (please take notice!!). Then we have the main character played by Shailene Woodley, known for being George Clooney daughter in “The Descendents”, the main character of the upcoming movie “The Fault in our Stars” and the new Mary Jane Watson in “The Amazing Spiderman” (movie 3) who as you can see, has been really active and who we will enjoy a lot in the future movies.
Now I have just to wait for the next movie based on a fantasy novel for young adults…..
- Did you know?
– Kate Winslet was five months pregnant during filming. Despite only being on set for four weeks, it got to a point where shooting above her waist was required as well as her carrying folders, files and iPads to cover the bump in master shots.
– In The Fault in Our Stars (2014), Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort play boyfriend and girlfriend, while in Divergent, they play siblings.
– The whole cast went through boot camp training for two months before filming started.
– In the beginning when the factions were introduced, each sign for each faction appears: the Erudite eye looking up from the microscope, the Amity tree in the middle of the field, the Candor scales during a court hearing, the Dauntless flames on the side of the building, and Abnegation joined hands while helping the factionless.